Saturday, July 30, 2011

Eclectic Witchcraft FAQ

When did you first become interested in The Craft?

I was introduced into The Goddess Path when I was 9.  My dad had just died and my mom had my aunt Helen around all of the time taking care of me while she worked a full time job.  Aunt Helen would talk about The Goddess almost every day and finally I asked her what her beliefs were, I was 12 or so and she told me she was a Witch and what that was.


What were some things she taught you?

She basically said that The Creator was a female energy and a male energy but that she as a woman always felt more connected to the female aspects and I as a Gay young man felt the same way and so that is what I adopted into my beliefs, I would refer to The Goddess and never mention, The God and I have done alright really.   :)


Did she teach you practices or did you discover them later?

No, she taught me Magic, ritual, about the Witches rede, the law of return and herbs and plantlife.   she taught me to have a deep respect for nature, for animals and for all life.   Yet she also taught me to stay open and explore other ideas, she had hundreds of books in her living room, she had a sun deck where she would go outside and read all day and all night probably and she would light candles and incense and just connect with Nature/The Goddess.    


Do you believe then in a Goddess only or?

It's complicated.   I was raised to believe in The Goddess, that she is the Air, The Elements around us, Fire, Water, Earth.   That she is The animals of the fields, she is all human beings, she is literally everything natural and she is also IN each of these things so I suppose it's like a Panentheist belief system where a person believes in a Goddess who is part of nature but also in some way above or set apart from it.     I really have no usage for the word God.


How does The Goddess communicate with you?

Well, I was told my Helen that she spoke through our divination source: The die.   I admit that I have moved beyond that because I do see The Goddess now as nearly completely a part of nature, not really set above it in any way and I see the die as a random tool which decides what days are rituals and what books to read and the lessons inside, I still allow the die to lead me to new ideas and experiences though that practice is also fading out.   I have changed a lot from how I was raised but I think it's a good thing.


Give an overview of your beliefs/practices?

1. I believe In The Goddess who IS The Universe/The Earth.  Everything natural therefore is Sacred, Holy, Divine and deserves religious reverence and respect.

2. The Witches Rede -an it harm none, do what ye will.   I do my best to live a life that does not impose on others, I do not hurt animals or people when I can help it and I do not go into natural habitats and fuck with nature.   :)

3. The Law of Return.   Of course I believe that whatever you send out comes back to you.  Right away.   Times Ten!

4. Random Ritual Days.   If I lived somewhere that it wasn't 115 in the daytime and near a body of water, I would have both indoor and outdoor rituals, for the indoor ones I would do what I do now, magic, meditation, visualization work, etc and for the outdoor ones I would probably go for a walk in the woods, sit by the ocean ,swim in the surf, etc.

5. Magic.   I believe in using natural energies that exist inside of us and around us to bring about change in our lives.  This magic to me is very real.  It can be psychological yes....but then how do the things I want to happen, happen?

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment