Monday, May 21, 2012

Is Witchcraft a Religion?

Hi!

When I was growing up, Witchcraft was The Religion, Wicca was a branch of Witchcraft.   Both were Pagan.   Now, these days Wiccans will tell you that they are Witches (when they admit to practicing magic) and that Witchcraft as a religion does not even exist.

It's insane and wrong.

Family Traditions of Witchcraft do exist and we do consider this to be our religion.   

I do consider this path to be my religion, when someone asks me what religion I am, I tell them I am a Witch.   Though right now I tell them I am a Satanist because that is what I am exploring and I have to take on that identity.

:)

But....

Back to the real world!

A religion is defined as a set of rules, laws and practices, holy days and a God that is venerated.

Well, I do not agree with that.

Buddhists do not have a God and I do consider Buddhism to be a religion.   Satanists also do not have a God and that is a legally protected religion.   

Witchcraft has a Goddess who reigns supreme but The Goddess IS The Universe/Nature.    I have rules that I follow such as not causing harm where I do not need to.   The Law of Return.  Waiting for the doors to open.   Random Ritual days that must be followed.

I'd say that YES Witchcraft is my religion.

Blessings!


No comments:

Post a Comment